Wednesday, February 25, 2009

STRESSED spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

I've worked nearly 30 hours over the past 2 days. Needless to say, work is crazy busy and extremely stressful right now. Not to mention, the fact that I'm leaving for Waco, Texas on Thursday and have to get everything done by tomorrow!

Even though I'm absolutely exhausted, I have not been able to get to sleep at a decent time the past couple of nights. It's not that I haven't tried...it's just that all this stress will not allow me to relax!! I swear that I caught myself close to a run on the way to lunch today. What on earth?!

Since I seem to have some free time, I decided to research this condition.

Stress is defined as physical, mental, or emotional strain or tension that includes a state of alarm and adrenaline production, short-term resistance as a coping machine, and exhaustion. Common symptoms are irritability, muscular tension, inability to concentrate and variety of other physical reactions such as headaches and accelerated heart rate.

I must say...I've never experienced so many of these symptoms all at the same time! I'm sure you know that I am a naturally stressful person, so maybe I've gotten used to some of these things but it's times like this when I really feel the effect of true stress.

After a little bit more searching, I came across an interesting quote: "The bigger your stress, the bigger your success." I don't really agree with this since part of being successful is being able to deal with and manage stress appropriately (which I am still learning) but if this quote is trying to say that stress is an indication of a successful person then Go Me! A little bit of stress is good but I can definitely see how a lot of stress over an extended period of time can really wear on you. Luckily this is the type of thing that comes and goes with any career and once I am in Waco I will be de-stressed and happy...until then, this is me...

No comments:

Post a Comment