Sunday, October 6, 2013

Welcome to Our Home

In my opinion, the entryway of a home sets the tone for the rest of the house. It should be warm, welcoming and personalized. Well before I moved in and we even thought about fixing up the entryway, I started a Pinterest board in preparation for "someday". Some of my pins show large, elaborate entryways, others are more functional and cozy. Check out my inspiration here: http://www.pinterest.com/brittkolbeck/entryways/

We ended up completing this project in phases. Because the home was a true bachelor pad before we were married, there was nothing at the front door. First step was to plant a bug in John's ear about putting something in the entryway. Apparently he caught onto my idea because he surprised me with a really beautiful and budget friendly entryway table and mirror from Bed, Bath and Beyond. See "Before" picture below with the entry table and a few decorative knickknacks. 


Eventually, the next step was to remove the original tile at the front door and replace it with new tile (which spreads throughout the main floor of the home). We also took this chance to remove the existing wallpaper borders and add a fresh coat of paint. See the "During" photo above with some of our paint color options. 

We chose a light tan color, similar to the kitchen, which compliments the new tile floors perfectly. We also added fresh white floorboards (when I say "we", I don't mean me!). And an awesome design was put into the tile floor at the front door to give it a unique touch. See "After" photo above. While just the entry table and mirror gave the home a more inviting feel, the new tile floor and fresh paint took it one step further. 

Since this area has been completed, I've had so much fun playing with the decor on the entryway table. I tried to select a few staple items that don't change and then adjust the rest to keep up with each season. See a few examples below.

October 2012 - This time last year, before the new floor and paint. Flowers were from my Bridal Shower and the pumpkin was a new purchase for Halloween! I also found some really cute vintage looking votives (under the mirror) and an orange, brown and gold potpourri mix (bottom shelf).


January 2013 - Also before the new tile and paint. The personalized picture frame is still there and the wicker box (found at TJ Maxxis where we keep our keys and wallets . Fresh flowers give it some color and I replaced the votives with short tapered candle holders from The Dollar Tree. On the bottom shelf, you can see that the I've added a set of Foo Dog statues that were a gift from my Grams. These statues were in my grandparent's home since I can remember. Come to find out that these Chinese Guardian Lions are believed to have powerful mythic protective benefits so I was told to place them by the door.


Today - After the paint and tile. Same wicker box, Foo Dogs, and Pumpkin candle holder. (It's already October again!) Since the previous picture, I'd picked up a green "K" and a decorative green and brown vase to set behind it. I'm glad I did a bit of seasonal shopping before I injured my ankle...found those cute orange owls at TJ Maxx!


I truly love our new entryway and have made it a personal project to keep it filled with creative and seasonal personal touches (Pinterest-inspired, of course)! Hope you can come visit soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment