Sunday, October 27, 2013

DIY Autumn Decor Part One

I have always wanted to be one of those homemakers who is crafty and creative and has her home decorated for each season. Part of that's probably because my mom always made seasonal decorating around our house so much fun. She handmade our Halloween costumes as kids and made sure our school projects were above and beyond! 

I'm not sure I have much natural creativity but thanks to Pinterest and other internet resources, there is still hope for me!

My last post showed a picture of a bunch of items I picked up at Hobby Lobby and the Dollar Tree. Here's one of a few things I have planned for those supplies...

This DIY Fall wreath combines two different fads for a great look. The first is the use of burlap fabric. I've seen burlap and lace used a lot lately at weddings and garden parties. I wanted to try and incorporate burlap into our table settings but that wasn't John's favorite look so this was the compromise. The second look is the chevron pattern. It is adorable, cheery and comes in a variety of colors!

Here's the blog post that I used as my inspiration for this project: http://gatheredinthekitchen.com/2013/02/25/chevron-burlap-wreath-tutorial/. 



To begin, here are the supplies I used:
- 16" wire wreath shell ($2.99 at Hobby Lobby)
- burlap ribbon ($3.29 at Hobby Lobby)
- chevron ribbon ($2.39 on sale at Hobby Lobby)
- twine (a few bucks at Hobby Lobby, can also be found at The Dollar Tree)
- wooden 'K' ($3.59 at Hobby Lobby with coupon)
- barn red paint ($0.96 on sale at Hobby Lobby)



I started by painting the "K" so that it'd be dry by the time I was done with the rest of the wreath. I chose this wooden design because it gives a bit more dimension than just a flat letter. When you paint, make sure you get in all of the little crevices. Two or more coats works best. I chose this barn red color to match the color of the chevron ribbon. (I originally wanted to use orange but Hobby Lobby was out!)


Next I followed the tutorial posted above and started weaving the burlap ribbon throughout the wire wreath frame. At first I tried to be so exact but quickly realized it's more of an art than a science! Be patient with it. The goal is to cover the inner and outer rings of the frame with loose burlap waves. You can easily manipulate the burlap to look exactly the way you want it. I used the entire roll of ribbon. Don't worry if you can still see some of the frame. The chevron ribbon will cover the rest. 



Next cut several pieces of twine to tie the chevron ribbon around the frame. Start by bunching a small length of the chevron ribbon in the center of the frame. Tie it in place using the twine. I also left a pretty long amount of the chevron ribbon hang down. This will serve as one tail of the bow. (See photo below.) Repeat the bunching and tying all the way around. Your sections can be as big or as small as you'd like. Be sure to cover the center portion of the wreath frame. At this point you can also adjust the burlap ribbon to make sure everything's covered. When you reach the final section, leave a second tail for the bow.



Next, use the remaining chevron ribbon to tie a bow (mine is large and loose). Use the twine to attach it to your wreath, over the ribbon tails you've already positioned. (Your bow will have a double tail.) finally, use the twine to attach the monogram in the center of the wreath. I had John bust out the staple gun to attach the twine on the back of the "K". I've also seen the letters placed on the bottom or side of the wreath. It's all personal preference!


We hung the wreath on our front door and added some festive fall accents for the cutest little Autumn porch!! John brought home the bale of hay from San Dimas Grain ($10) and we went pumpkin hunting at a local patch. Can't wait to have visitors soon!!



No comments:

Post a Comment